Sunday, October 14, 2007

Rebirth

Alicia: I just came across this as I was unpacking a box in my office today - yes, still unpacking. It's a poem I wrote in 1997 as part of a multi-media presentation for a summer photography class. I warn you ... it's fairly dark and I don't remember if the theme was death, but I do think it had something to do with light and dark. I'll see if I can't scan and post some of the images used.

Rebirth


Hands and hearts - yearning
Attempting the final ascent
Life weakened by the strain

Death strengthens its hold
Clouding our vision, our focus
Pulling us back from the Truth

As these hands of death
Grapple with just intentions
The entanglement becomes too great

Rendering helplessness
Shroud in the cloth of misery
And vain imaginings

Will we fight
Against these overwhelming odds?
And leave the despised threads behind?

Or shall we succumb to the dreaded fate
We rushed to in hasty hopes of love
In a world blackened by its very absence?

Will we join this lowly circle
And welcome the grim embrace?
Life from death emerges.

No comments: