Sunday, April 09, 2006

Spring is here...

[Alicia] Yes, indeed it is and with Spring showers, er, and hail, and high winds, and tornadoes. We have escaped any real damage or harsh weather. We continue to see weekly forecasts for strong thunderstorms, but nothing serious down here and, in fact, it cools things off which is nice considering the hot, humid summer is just around the corner. Everything is in bloom down here which is quite lovely. So far our allergies haven't really been affected too much which is a good sign. I think actually Brian has a harder time with allergies than I do, but then we all know how sensitive he is - just kidding.
Brian continues to work steadily at his studies as finals are just around the corner (first week in May). The first year is almost over. It's hard to believe! It's been quite a year of adjustment for both of us.
I continue with my work for the National Environmental Health Association, part-time, and am working on getting my health issues under control and am continuing to investigate the best option for me with regard to my future endeavours in the field of anthropology.
For the immediate future, however, I will be moving, temporarily, to Huntsville for about a month and a half to help out my family any way I can. You see, my mother was just diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer and will be undergoing surgery in about 2 weeks. So, please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers as we journey through this challenge together. The cancer has been caught at a very early stage and we are very hopeful for a successful surgery and recovery. My mother is doing a great job of trying to get as healthy as possible prior to the surgery by walking several miles almost every day, eating better, and drinking lots of water. She also has an ever-growing support group outside of her family as we learn about other friends and co-workers who have dealt with cancer personally or know someone who beat it.
Well, it is now time to sleep perchance to dream and wake tomorrow rested and ready to make the most of the gift of life for one more day.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I will definitely keep your mother and your family in my prayers. Hugs!